FEA and CFD based Design and Optimization for Marine and Shipbuilding Industry
From the design and manufacture of small recreational crafts and Yachts to the large oil tankers, using FEA and CFD based simulation, Enteknograte assisting shipbuilders and boat designers to develop higher performing, safer and lower cost vessels. Through the application of simulation technology and consulting services, Enteknograte supports Marine and Shipbuilding Industry solve complex engineering challenges and mitigate environmental risks associated with seagoing loads including structural, hydrodynamics, vibro-acoustics, thermal and fatigue.
Enteknograte has a staff of highly qualified engineers and naval architects that has maintained its leading-edge know-how and development skills. Our Engineers have a rich experience in computer modeling of structures and the application of linear and non-linear (implicit and explicit) finite element codes and using advanced CFD tools in coupled with FEA to precise and real-time modeling of complicated floating structures that experience FSI for a wide range of engineering problems. Enteknograte has a proven track-record in structural analysis, marine investigation and surveying. We have a comprehensive experience in use of the most advanced computational tools to meet almost any analysis need:
- Global and detailed direct structural assessment (FEM, Finite Element Method), including verification of Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) structures for boat.
- Performance prediction based on Computation Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis.
- CFD studies for optimization of appendages and other elements.
- Fatigue assessment studies.
- Modal and vibration analyses.
- Seakeeping and seaworthiness assessment.
- Maneuvering studies.
- Simulation and evaluation of systems
- Marine surveying and reporting
- Damage surveys and investigations
- Tie-down structural calculations and approval
- Collision Investigation, modeling and analysis
Better product development with advanced simulation.
CFD Optimizing the Hydrodynamic Performance of a Vessel
Enteknograte have high-end expertise for Combining FEA and CFD tools for Ship simulation and optimization to give the best performance at the design draft and speed. Also different kind of optimization could be performed with targeting various speed-draft combinations in the operating profile. The overall hydrodynamic performance of a vessel is directly connected to the resistance and propulsive efficiency. The resistance is influenced by the hull shape, the wetted surface area and the configuration of appendages, while the propulsive efficiency is influenced by the propeller open water characteristics and the interaction between hull and propeller.
The performance depends on the variation of operating conditions, i.e. vessel speed, draft and trim. Vessels have traditionally been optimized for a single condition, normally the contract speed at design draft. With the help of state-of-the-art Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) tools and modern computers it is now possible to optimize a vessel for various conditions in which the vessel will be trading.
Enteknograte has worked with hull optimization for several years. Enteknograte ’s experts have extensive relevant experience within ship hydrodynamics and energy efficiency, applied to numerous vessel types and sizes including the major segments: tankers, bulk carriers and container vessels.
The Optimization Process
A typical project for hydrodynamic hull optimization may include:
- Establishing a close dialog between Enteknograte and the Client;
- Defining a realistic operating profile;
- Discussing and combining Enteknograte ’s design ideas with the client’s design philosophy to obtain an optimal hull in both a hydrodynamic and building perspective;
- Optimizing the hull forebody based on the operating profile;
- Optimizing the hull aftbody to improve the propulsive efficiency, including consideration on propeller and machinery configuration;
- Assessing the Energy Efficient Design Index
The delivered value for the client is increased confidence in the hydrodynamic performance of the hull. Typically, considerably improved fuel efficiency and reduced gas emissions are achieved throughout the vessel’s lifetime.
In this specific case, the scope of our work included:
- Establishing a weighing matrix for the vessel’s relevant operating profile;
- Optimizing the hull forebody and aftbody (shoulders, bulb, transom stern height, etc.) based on the operating profile;
- Analyzing the wake and propulsion efficiency;
- Predicting the speed – power and fuel oil consumption curves;
- Assessing the preliminary EEDI;
All simulations of resistance and wake assessment will be performed using advanced CFD packages. A vessel’s hydrodynamic properties, including hull design and hull-propeller interaction, resistance, maneuvering, and seakeeping, must all be optimized together in order to achieve an energy-efficient design which can perform as required under these challenging conditions. By developing a digital twin of the vessel in the design phase, our solutions allow early evaluation and optimization of hull forms under realistic conditions, helping the marine industry develop innovative, better designs faster.
Use our CFD hydrodynamic solutions to:
- Perform full-scale CFD analysis of hull forms and appendages, removing any scaling uncertainties.
- Predict hull resistance under realistic operating conditions, including waves and open water.
- Analyze vessel performance when maneuvering, including self-propulsion.
- Ensure vessel designs meet seakeeping performance criteria.
- Examine wave loading and ensure structural stability.
- Optimize hull forms or appendages, including energy saving devices.
Structural Dynamics Integrity
Structural-borne noise and vibration need to be minimized for passenger comfort and reduced environmental impact. Our full suite of vibro-acoustics simulation, and optimization tools ensures that we can minimize the structural dynamic impact of your vessel and its components early in the design phase.
Use Enteknograte FEA and CFD based structural integrity and dynamics solution services to:
- Perform a wide range of structural analysis simulations, ensuring structural integrity.
- Examine thermal and stress responses on vessel components early in the design cycle.
- Determine vibro-acoustic effects and mitigate their influence.
- Acquire physical noise and vibration data for validation and feedback on designs.
- Optimize components while maintaining performance requirements.
FEA and CFD Simulation for Ship Structure
- Finite element modeling as per classification society guidelines
- Strength analysis, fatigue and buckling analysis of plated structures and components
- Structural reliability analysis
- Vibration investigation including measurements and theoretical analysis
- Noise investigation and analysis
- Structural analysis of specialized containers and containment systems
FEA and CFD Simulation for Fixed and Mobile Offshore Units
Achieving an optimal propulsion system early in the design phase ensures the vessel meets contract requirements while improving sea-going capacity and reducing vessel fuel consumption. Our solutions create a propeller digital twin early in the design phase, giving understanding of propulsion effects at full scale. From propeller in isolation to sub-systems to full system performance, design an optimal, innovative propulsion system that meets contractual and regulatory obligations at a lower cost.
Use propulsion system solutions to:
- Predict propeller performance, including the effects of cavitation and erosion.
- Optimize propeller designs for required operational efficiency.
- Simulate self-propulsion and analyze design-critical operating conditions.
- Improve existing fleet efficiency via energy saving devices and other refit options.
- Minimize vibro-acoustics, ensuring reduced environmental footprint and structural integrity.
- Provide accurate inputs to load calculations and system simulations.
CFD Analysis of Cavitation for Marine and Shipbuilding
For water pumps, marine propellers, and other equipment involving hydrofoils, cavitation can cause problems such as vibration, increased hydrodynamic drag, pressure pulsation, noise, and erosion on solid surfaces. Most of these problems are related to the transient behavior of cavitation structures. To better understand these phenomena, unsteady 3D simulations Modeling Cavitation of cavitating flow around single hydrofoils are often performed and the results are compared to experiments.
HVAC Design for Ships and Offshore Structures
HVAC manufacturers are responding to ongoing pressure from vessel builders to develop durable and robust systems that are smaller, lighter, quieter, and provide higher capacity and efficiency. Large complex HVAC projects in the offshore and marine industries are fraught with numerous challenges related to health and safety, logistics, economics, quality assurance and overall performance.
Maximize HVAC productivity and construction quality with our next-gen software for designing HVAC equipment and systems for ships and offshore structures. Improve total enterprise productivity through the seamless integration with digital manufacturing solutions to ensure optimal manufacturing and assembly. Design, size and evaluate the performance of HVAC system architectures to deliver safer, greener and more comfortable ships, faster.
Marine Vibro-Acoustics Simulation for Marine and Shipbuilding : FEA, SEA and BEM
Enteknograte provides solutions to the many challenges faced by navel engineers in meeting demanding vibro acoustic specifications for both on board noise and underwater radiation. With Enteknograte experience in Acoustic and Multi-physics solutions that enable us to perform computationally efficient resulting in accurate cost effective results across the frequency range.
Main Simulation methods in Vibro-acoustic field are:
- Finite Element FEA (Structural / Acoustics)
- Statistical Energy Analysis SEA
- Hybrid FEA/SEA
- Fast Multipole FMM
- Boundary Element Method BEM
We optimize most complicated system in simple way, the output of simulation that represent our work quality index in critical points such as:
- Water loading and underwater radiation
- Noise in sensitive areas and changes in noise level
- Insulation optimization for weight and cost savings
- Underwater radiation from the vibrating panels
- Underwater radiation from the propeller point sources
- Interior noise levels in cabins from a number of different sources
Corrosion fatigue resistance is of great importance in the ship building industry, whether it concerns the hull or the propeller. In order to accurately simulate this effect, you will need to take into account the physics of the materials (composite, high strength steel…) and the welding and manufacturing effects (such as heat treatment for the propeller).
With combining special purpose welding simulation software and importing the results to fatigue simulation package, Enteknograte could predict the lifetime components:
- Determine residual stresses as basis for a high cycle low amplitude fatigue analysis, and to discover problem zones in the design.
- Understand the stress and fracture mechanics of the cladding, heat treatment, and welding process of large welded assemblies with dissimilar metals caused by the fabrication or repair process.
Considering complexity and needs to have new procedure and constitutive equation, we must try to develop new FEA and CFD based software to overcome engineering challenges.
FEA and CFD based Programming needs experience and deep knowledge in both Solid or fluid mechanics and programming language such as Matlab, Fortran, C++ and Python.
We use subroutine’s with programming languages such as Fortan, C and Python in CFD and FEA sofware such as Abaqus, Ansys, Fluent and Star-ccm+ to add new capability and Constitutive equation.
Enteknograte use Mathematical Methods and Models for Engineering Simulation. We, focuses on numerical modelling and algorithms development for the solution of challenging problems in several engineering sectors specialized in the development of software for the numerical discretization of partial differential equations, linear algebra, optimization, data analysis, High Performance Computing for several engineering applications.
Real world Simulation: Combination of experience and advanced analysis tools
Calling upon our wide base of in-house capabilities covering strategic and technical consulting, engineering, manufacturing ( Casting, Forming and Welding) and analytical software development – we offer each of our clients the individual level of support they are looking for, providing transparency, time savings and cost efficiencies.
Enteknograte engineers participate in method development, advanced simulation work, software training and support. Over experiences in engineering consulting and design development, enables Enteknograte’s engineering team to display strong/enormous client focus and engineering experience. The Enteknograte team supports engineering communities to leverage CFD-FEA simulation softwares and methodologies. It leads to the creation of tailored solutions, aligned with the overall product development process of Enteknograte clients.
CAE Simulation: CFD, FEA, System Modeling, 1D-3D coupling
Integrated expertise covering every Equipment component analysis. From concept through to manufacture and product launch, and for new designs or Equipment modifications, we provide engineering simulation expertise across projects of all sizes. Simulation has become a key enabling factor in the development of highly competitive and advanced Equipment systems. CAE methods play a vital role in defining new Equipment concepts.