MultiObjective Design and Optimization of Turbomachinery: Coupled CFD and FEA
Optimizing the simulation driven design of turbomachinery such as compressors, turbines, pumps, blowers, turbochargers, turbopumps, centrifugal compressors, radial turbines, hydraulic turbines, low speed to transonic fans and torque converters offers enormous potential. Enteknograte’s engineering team performs all stages of design and optimization of turbomachinery at the 1D, 2D and 3D levels including 3D blade design, FEA and CFD analysis. Our experience covers all branches of turbomachinery design and related fields of knowledge including: aerodynamics, hydraulics, thermodynamics, Acoustics, structural, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Finite Element Analysis.
Enteknograte Engineering Services team is composed of highly skilled turbomachinery design and analysis engineers ready to support and complement your design needs. Whether you need a complete study or are facing challenging multi-point / multi-objective design objectives, our team will be able to support your requirements by application of coupled CFD, FEA and 1D System softwares.
The world class engineering services team at Enteknograte possesses a wealth of knowledge in theoretical, academic, and in-the-field experience. This depth of expertise enables us to provide exceptional consulting services for design and optimization in any R&D and Industrial fields.
From the initial concept to the completed 3D model and all the steps in between them, we are here to assist. We Use CFD tools such as Ansys Fluent and Siemens Star-ccm+ and FEA Tools such as Abaqus, LS-DYNA and MSC Nastran with combination of very experienced engineers to help our customers in:
- Project Definition and Technical Specifications
- Preliminary Design & Feasibility Studies
- Research & Development
- Analysis of Existing Machines
- Heat Transfer Simulations
- Rotor Dynamics
- Aerodynamic Design
- Re-design Services
- CFD Analysis
- Finite Element Structural Analysis (FEA) for stress and vibration analysis.
- Aeroacoustic and noise Modelling
- Aeroelastic Design & Analysis
- Design of Experiments and Automatic optimization methodology (e.g Simplex, Simulated annealing, Genetic algorithm and Tabu search).
Turbine, Pump and Compressor (Axial or Centrifugal): Multidisciplinary Turbomachinery Design, Analysis and Optimization
Starting from the preliminary design, our engineers progresses through a 1D inverse task solver optimizer, to continue with meanline (1D) and axisymmetric (2D) analysis, profiling and 3D blade design, 3D finite element analysis (FEA) for structural calculations, secondary air flow hydraulic and thermal calculations (including cooling), rotor design, bearing analysis, rotor dynamics and 3D CFD calculations. We can design axial turbines, Axial Pump, Centrifugal Compressor, Centrifugal Pump and Mixed Flow Compressor/Turbine with or without any pre-loaded profiles, with prismatic (cylindrical) or twisted blades, multiple extractions/injections, inter-stage heat exchangers, Curtis & Rateau stages, impulse & reaction designs, drilled and reamed nozzles, partial admission, etc. Control stages can even be designed with the backpressure optimized for overall machine efficiency.:
- Analyze existing turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) and their performance at design and off-design conditions
- Redesign, optimize, rerate and upgrade existing turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal)/components
- Reverse engineer turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) designs
- Troubleshoot and correct efficiency/reliability issues in existing hardware
- Optimize cooling configuration and flows for new and existing turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal)
- Aero-thermodynamic calculations of blades and endwalls cooling taking into account the mixing losses and the change of working fluid temperature
- Determine streamwise and spanwise distribution of kinematics, thermodynamics and loss parameters as well as leakages and secondary air flows (including cooling) for a given set of boundary conditions.
- Turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) flow optimization calculations including through the use of a DOE approach (Design Of Experiment)
- Aerodynamic shape optimization of turbomachinery blades to express 3D structural, modal and harmonic analysis using a finite element analysis (FEA) method.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software used for 3D flow analysis in blade-to-blade channels of turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal), for subsonic, transonic and supersonic flows, using full 3D CFD formulation (Navier-Stokes, viscous with various turbulence models (standard k-e, k-e RNG, k-w, k-w SST models)).
- Turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) Bearing Analysis and Design
- Steady-state, transient, and map analysis to calculate the bearings different hydrodynamic and mechanical characteristics
- Turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) Cooling Flows & Secondary Systems Design and simulation
Our engineering experts have been performing rotor dynamic analysis and working to ensure that no destructive vibrations will occur in the rotor-bearing-support system. We can carry out extremely complicated studies related to unbalanced rotating mass behavior to save you precious time:
- Calculations of lateral, axial, and torsional vibrations
- Campbell diagram analysis for damped and undamped systems
- Unbalance or transient response calculations
- Computation of rotor system with clearances, full and partial rubbing, external and internal friction, and definition of instability thresholds
- Computation of rotor system with nonlinear journal/rolling bearings, squeeze-film dampers, and other types of rotor studies
FEA and CFD Analysis for Turbomachinery: Turbine, Pump and Compressor
The range of our analytical capabilities is unmatched in the consulting industry, particularly in the area of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis. Our engineering team uses the latest FEA and CFD tools and methodologies to determine product configuration and perform optimization, cost and weight reduction, life prediction, system performance evaluation, and failure investigation of mechanical systems. Our engineers are well-versed in many analysis applications, including FEA and CFD.
Enteknograte’s engineering team use CFD software’s such as Siemens Star-ccm+, Ansys Fluent and Numeca Fine/Turbo in co-simulation with FEA structural solvers, such as Abaqus, Ansys and MSC Nastran. Our team is ready to accept any challenge in fluid dynamics and FEA simulation:
Finite Element Analyses:
CFD/Aero-Thermo Dynamics Analysis:
Rotor Dynamic Analysis:
Heat Transfer Simulations for Turbomachinery including FSI effect with FEA and CFD
For real world simulation, many elements have to be taken into consideration, in particular, the diversity of flow configurations and applications; the complexity of geometries and physics, the requirements for multidisciplinary analysis and optimization including conjugate heat transfer (CHT) coupling flow and heat transfer: fluid-structure interactions (FSI); fluid-chemistry and multiphase interactions, as in combustion; aero-acoustics coupling flow and noise.
Most machines, such as high-heat turbines (gas and steam), boilers, and combustors for example, require strict control of thermal stresses and expansions. Due to the very particular nature of heat transfer, establishing this control can be both tedious and time consuming. With using CFD tools such as Numeca Fine/Turbo, Ansys Fluent, Siemens Star-ccm+ and FEA Tools such as Abaqus, Nastran and LS-DYNA with experineced engineers, we can calculate parameters of heat transfer between components and outer and inner gas flow to determine temperatures, relative thermal displacements, and thermal stresses.
We can calculate a wide spectrum of heat-related calculations, including startup and shutdown cycles, thermal warp effects on static elements (casings and exhaust hoods), on shafts, heat transfer analysis, warp and displacement of ceilings. We can also help you calculate predictions of a machine’s behavior on transient operational modes with high-fidelity modeling, closer to the real behavior of products..
Highly complex turbomachinery geometry shape optimization using advanced CFD and FEA tools
Enteknograte’s engineering team optimizes complex geometries with respect to given targets, such as total pressure loss and velocity uniformity with use of advanced simulation tools such as Star-ccm+, Ansys Fluent and Numeca Fine/Turbo. It does so by computing the sensitivities of the geometry itself versus those targets and then modifying it. The sensitivity information comes directly from the flow field so the optimized shape is the one that fits the given flow best. Unlike traditional design methods that rely on trial and error between a given geometry and flow field predicted by CFD codes, we use 3D inverse design method starts by identifying what we want to do to the fluid flow in terms of 3D pressure field and mathematically derives the optimal geometry to achieve that outcome. This significantly reduces the time taken for each design.
- Complex geometries sensitivity analysis and optimization, providing designs with improved performance.
- Innovative design
- Accurate mathematical approach drives the design to the best shape.
- 3D Inverse Design method that uses fluid dynamics to directly generate optimum blade shape
- Including secondary flows, corner separations, tip clearance flow, cavitation, and shock in design of turbomachinery
- Multi-point/multi-disciplinary optimization of all types of turbomachinery
Finite Element Analysis of Durability and Fatigue Life: Ansys Ncode, Simulia FE-Safe
The demand for simulation of fatigue and durability is especially strong. Durability often dominates development agendas, and empirical evaluation is by its nature time-consuming and costly. Simulation provides a strategic approach to managing risk and cost by enabling design concepts or design changes to be studied before investment in physical evaluation. The industry-leading fatigue Simulation technology such as Simulia FE-SAFE, Ansys Ncode Design Life and FEMFAT used to calculate fatigue life of multiaxial, welds, short-fibre composite, vibration, crack growth, thermo-mechanical fatigue.
Based on what we want to Design and Analysis, Stress, Strain or temperature from finite element (FE) software such as ANSYS, ABAQUS, NASTRAN, LS-Dyna, MSC Marc etc used. This FEA (Finite Element Analysis) must contain correspond simulation step detail based on what we want to do in Fatigue Simulation. Enteknograte engineers use different methodology for each specific industrial and research fields and multiphysics. Ansys Ncode, Simulia FE-Safe and FEMFAT are our fatigue analysis tools. With the Fatigue analysis, we can:
• Correct for mean stress and surface finish effects
• Determine a scale or fatigue concentration factor required to achieve a target life
• Review damage histograms to determine which load cycles were most damaging
• Output damage time histories to show exactly when the damage occurred
Enteknograte engineers use combination of advanced numerical simulation FEA-CFD tools in conjunction with Fatigue simulation in a variety of industrial applications, including Automotive, Aerospace, Consumer Goods, Heavy Equipment, Marine, Medical Equipment, Off-highway, Offshore, Oil & Gas, Rail, Sporting Goods, Wind Energy and University/Research:
With our experience in FEA and CFD and using advanced method for Real World Simulation including Fatigue Life and Durability Prediction, Our customers could go beyond over design and minimize the cost and in the same time have a special product with maximum safety factor.
FEA and CFD Based Simulation
Considering complexity and needs to have new procedure and constitutive equation, we must try to develop new FEA and CFD based software to overcome engineering challenges.
FEA and CFD based Programming needs experience and deep knowledge in both Solid or fluid mechanics and programming language such as Matlab, Fortran, C++ and Python.
We use subroutine’s with programming languages such as Fortan, C and Python in CFD and FEA sofware such as Abaqus, Ansys, Fluent and Star-ccm+ to add new capability and Constitutive equation.
Enteknograte use Mathematical Methods and Models for Engineering Simulation. We, focuses on numerical modelling and algorithms development for the solution of challenging problems in several engineering sectors specialized in the development of software for the numerical discretization of partial differential equations, linear algebra, optimization, data analysis, High Performance Computing for several engineering applications.
Real world Simulation: Combination of experience and advanced analysis tools
Calling upon our wide base of in-house capabilities covering strategic and technical consulting, engineering, manufacturing ( Casting, Forming and Welding) and analytical software development – we offer each of our clients the individual level of support they are looking for, providing transparency, time savings and cost efficiencies.
Enteknograte engineers participate in method development, advanced simulation work, software training and support. Over experiences in engineering consulting and design development, enables Enteknograte’s engineering team to display strong/enormous client focus and engineering experience. The Enteknograte team supports engineering communities to leverage CFD-FEA simulation softwares and methodologies. It leads to the creation of tailored solutions, aligned with the overall product development process of Enteknograte clients.
CAE Simulation: CFD, FEA, System Modeling, 1D-3D coupling
Integrated expertise covering every Equipment component analysis. From concept through to manufacture and product launch, and for new designs or Equipment modifications, we provide engineering simulation expertise across projects of all sizes. Simulation has become a key enabling factor in the development of highly competitive and advanced Equipment systems. CAE methods play a vital role in defining new Equipment concepts.