Turbine, Pump & Compressor (Axial or Centrifugal): Multidisciplinary Turbomachinery Design, Analysis & Optimization
FEA & CFD Based Simulation Design Analysis Virtual prototyping MultiObjective Optimization
Starting from the preliminary design, our engineers progresses through a 1D inverse task solver optimizer, to continue with meanline (1D) and axisymmetric (2D) analysis, profiling and 3D blade design, 3D finite element analysis (FEA) for structural calculations, secondary air flow hydraulic and thermal calculations (including cooling), rotor design, bearing analysis, rotor dynamics and 3D CFD calculations. We can design axial turbines, Axial Pump, Centrifugal Compressor, Centrifugal Pump and Mixed Flow Compressor/Turbine with or without any pre-loaded profiles, with prismatic (cylindrical) or twisted blades, multiple extractions/injections, inter-stage heat exchangers, Curtis & Rateau stages, impulse & reaction designs, drilled and reamed nozzles, partial admission, etc.
Control Stages can even be designed with the backpressure optimized for overall machine efficiency. Our service for Turbine, Pump & Compressor include:
- Analyze existing turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) and their performance at design and off-design conditions
- Redesign, optimize, rerate and upgrade existing turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal)/components
- Reverse engineer turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) designs
- Troubleshoot and correct efficiency/reliability issues in existing hardware
- Optimize cooling configuration and flows for new and existing turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal)
- Aero-thermodynamic calculations of blades and endwalls cooling taking into account the mixing losses and the change of working fluid temperature
- Determine streamwise and spanwise distribution of kinematics, thermodynamics and loss parameters as well as leakages and secondary air flows (including cooling) for a given set of boundary conditions.
- Turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) flow optimization calculations including through the use of a DOE approach (Design Of Experiment)
- Aerodynamic shape optimization of turbomachinery blades to express 3D structural, modal and harmonic analysis using a finite element analysis (FEA) method.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software used for 3D flow analysis in blade-to-blade channels of turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal), for subsonic, transonic and supersonic flows, using full 3D CFD formulation (Navier-Stokes, viscous with various turbulence models (standard k-e, k-e RNG, k-w, k-w SST models)).
- Turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) Bearing Analysis and Design
- Steady-state, transient, and map analysis to calculate the bearings different hydrodynamic and mechanical characteristics
- Turbine, pump and Compressor (axial or centrifugal) Cooling Flows & Secondary Systems Design and simulation
Our engineering experts have been performing rotor dynamic analysis and working to ensure that no destructive vibrations will occur in the rotor-bearing-support system. We can carry out extremely complicated studies related to unbalanced rotating mass behavior to save you precious time:
- Calculations of lateral, axial, and torsional vibrations
- Campbell diagram analysis for damped and undamped systems
- Unbalance or transient response calculations
- Computation of rotor system with clearances, full and partial rubbing, external and internal friction, and definition of instability thresholds
- Computation of rotor system with nonlinear journal/rolling bearings, squeeze-film dampers, and other types of rotor studies
The range of our analytical capabilities is unmatched in the consulting industry, particularly in the area of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis. Our engineering team uses the latest FEA and CFD tools and methodologies to determine product configuration and perform optimization, cost and weight reduction, life prediction, system performance evaluation, and failure investigation of mechanical systems. Our engineers are well-versed in many analysis applications, including FEA and CFD.
Enteknograte’s engineering team use CFD software’s such as Siemens Star-ccm+, Ansys Fluent and Numeca Fine/Turbo in co-simulation with FEA structural solvers, such as Abaqus, Ansys and MSC Nastran.
Finite Element Analyses:
- Linear and Non-Linear
- Static, Dynamic and Seismic
- Thermal (Steady-State and Transient)
- Cyclic Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics
- Coupled field CFD-Thermo-Structural (Steady State and Transient)
CFD/Aero-Thermo Dynamics Analysis:
- Compressible, incompressible and supersonic flows
- Laminar and turbulent flows
- Flows with conjugate heat transfer
- Multiphase flows
- Engine installation and ventilation
- Combustion systems
- Turbomachinery design
- Hand calculations
- Goodman assessment
- Low-Cycle Fatigue (LCF)
- High-Cycle Fatigue (HCF)
- Crack growth
- Residual life
- Journal, Thrust Bearings
- Fixed and Tilting Pad Geometries
- Ball Bearings
- Incompressible and Compressible Lubricants
- Gas Foil Bearings
- Hydrodynamic, Hydrostatic, or Hybrid
- Squeeze Film Dampers
- Annular Seals
Rotor Dynamic Analysis:
- Drive systems
- Critical speed
- Lateral and Torsional Natural Frequency and Corresponding Modes Shape (damped and undamped)
- Stability Analysis
- Unbalance Response (variable speed)
- Time-Transient Response (torsional)
WE WORK WITH YOU
We pride ourselves on empowering each client to overcome the challenges of their most demanding projects.
Enteknograte offers a Virtual Engineering approach with CFD tools such as MSC Cradle, Ansys Fluent, StarCCM+ for flows simulation and FEA based Codes such as MSC Softwrae(Simufact, Digimat, Nastran, Marc, Actran Acoustic solver), ABAQUS, Ansys and LS-Dyna, encompassing the accurate prediction of in-service loads, the performance evaluation, and the integrity assessment including the influence of manufacturing the components.
Finite Element Analysis of Durability and Fatigue Life: Ansys Ncode, Simulia FE-Safe
The demand for simulation of fatigue and durability is especially strong. Durability often dominates development agendas, and empirical evaluation is by its nature time-consuming and costly. Simulation provides a strategic approach to managing risk and cost by enabling design concepts or design changes to be studied before investment in physical evaluation. The industry-leading fatigue Simulation technology such as Simulia FE-SAFE, Ansys Ncode Design Life and FEMFAT used to calculate fatigue life of multiaxial, welds, short-fibre composite, vibration, crack growth, thermo-mechanical fatigue.